Your hand is always with you. Is peace always with you? Maybe not always. How can you use your hand to ensure you have peace more often?
Peace is not a feeling. It is a “chosen condition” that can be present in good times and bad. God gives peace to His children, but only some pick up the gift. You choose whether you will pick up God’s peace – or not.
If peace is gone from your heart, how do you get it back? There are 5 questions to ask yourself. You have 5 fingers. You can always remember these questions if you assign one to each finger. Then, any time, night or day, ask yourself the questions.
- Is God able? In my current situation, is God able to bring about His good, His solutions, His interventions, His help, His strength and endurance, His miracles?
- Does God know? Is He aware of my suffering? Can He see me struggling? Can He see I’m at my wits end, and I don’t know what to do next or where to turn? Can He see what I cannot?
- Does God care? If He can see and knows what is going on – and if He is able – why is it not changing? Does God even care about what is going on in my life? Are the details of my world important to Him?
- Can I trust God? There have been so many others I thought I could trust, and . . . . well. . . . it didn’t turn out very good. How do I know I can really trust God to do good things in my life? Do I believe His promises in Scripture? Am I willing to take those words He spoke and apply them to the very situation I’m in now? Do I choose – here and now – to trust God?
- Am I obeying? To the best of my understanding and ability, am I willingly obeying God? Have I done all I know to ensure I am pleasing God in my thoughts, attitudes, words, and actions?
As you wrestle through these 5 questions, and if you choose to answer them with a “yes,” then you can pick up God’s peace. Actually picture yourself picking up the gift in your mind. It is wrapped with a bow – sitting there with your name written on it. Jesus wants you to have it. He secured your peace at a high price. It’s yours! Believe it. TAKE IT!
Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” Jn. 14:27
**This post is a partial excerpt from my book Reach Back: Intentionally Reaching Back to God. I encourage you to buy this study book and read more about peace, pausing in life, how to handle feelings, loneliness, boundaries, forgiveness, gratitude, and more.
Click on the picture of the book to order. . . .
* The Peace Hand is adapted from: McDougall, Colin. Models for Disciple-Makers. Robbinsville: Eternal Truth Ministries, 2002. Print.
SIGN UP on my email list to receive a FREE ebook on how to get into God’s Word with your super busy life. Also, you will receive notice of blog posts on managing your life.