There is a “WOW list” of amazing stories in Hebrews 11. The list records extraordinary interventions, protection, and answered prayer. The power released into these stories is initiated by faith in a God who loves His children and can do anything. Take a look:
- A nation walks away from bondage to freedom! Not on a road, but on a sea floor. God’s people covertly exit the land of slavery, perhaps glancing up at the water corridor, wondering how they would survive if those walls suddenly collapsed. When Egypt pursues to take them back into bondage, the escape corridor tunnels-in and crushes the perpetrators.
- No catapults. No dynamite. No magical chants. Just walking around a wall. Praising God. Needing a miracle. No real game plan except “God said to.” Then – in God’s timing, DOWN COME THE WALLS! Thick, stone walls collapse under the pressure of faith.
- A prostitute inside those same walls chooses to trust God, taking risks that prove her new faith. She doesn’t know the plan. But she believes God loves her – and will spare and include her.
Just like for you, the odds are against these folks. Sometimes they do not yet receive what they trust for. They don’t know how things will turn out. For example:
- Daniel did not know he would not be lunch for lions.
- Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego did not know they would not be burned to a crisp.
- Paul did not know he would get up after being stoned and left for dead.
. . . but they do know God loves them and can do anything. These ordinary guys are just stubborn enough to believe God’s great love and promises never fail, even if they must suffer for a season. They are well-informed. They believe God’s claims.
Read the chapter for more stories of real people who choose to trust God. These people tap into power to rise above their circumstances. They trust deeply – to:
- Conquer whatever threatens their peace.
- Be given justice in their sufferings.
- Gain promises they cling to.
- Dodge sharp blades intended to cut them apart.
- Claim strength to be a winner in the face of looming defeat.
- Be resolved to suffer unspeakable things.
- Endure being mocked, ostracized, walking alone.
- Suffer bondage and unfair imprisonment.
- Face torture and death.
- Manage poverty, alienation, and mistreatment.
The last 5 points portray power at peak intensity which enables ordinary people to do what is otherwise impossible. This world is not worthy of these ordinary people who decide to live by faith!
Are you one of them? How stubborn are you? How well-informed? Will you choose to trust no matter what happens?
“Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us . . .” (Eph. 3:20)
Article developed from Heb. 11.29-40.
SIGN UP on my email list to receive a FREE ebook on how to get into God’s Word with your super busy life. Also, you will receive notice of blog posts on managing your life.